New Member Program Year-at-a-GlanceSeptember:
- Fall new hires and their mentors will meet. Aim to touch base about once per week after the first meeting.
- Arrange for a mentor/new member lunch. The FA will reimburse mentors for up to $40. Although you may schedule the lunch for any time during the fall semester, we recommend doing so as soon as you can.
- New members hired during the previous spring semester can also have one additional lunch with their mentors during this fall semester and receive reimbursement from the FA for up to $40.
- Fall new hires will be added to the listserv for The Undercurrent, the FA New Member Program blog, where the New Member Program Chair will blog about different topics pertinent to new faculty on all three campuses. Visit the blog's archives to gain a sense of the program's history - as well as tips on how to navigate your first year!
- The first New Member Discussion Series event will be held at 11 a.m. on a Friday, and all new members are encouraged to attend with their mentors (who should already be in the room, as Mentor Orientation is held beforehand at 10 a.m.)
- Attend the New Member Bagel Brunch. This serves as an opportunity for mentors and new members to meet up, and for new members become acquainted with the FA officers and FA New Member Program Campus Coordinator. There will also be opportunities to ask questions and share experiences.
- Keep in touch. Make plans to attend the FA Holiday Party with your mentor. New members will receive an invitation to attend at no cost.
- The second New Member Discussion Series event will be held at 11 a.m. on a Friday. Take a moment to check in with your mentor and the program while learning about how to navigate your career at SCCC.
- Attend the FA Holiday Party. Have fun!
- Spring new hires will be matched with a mentor. Try to meet up as soon as possible and continue to do so once per week for the month following.
- Spring semester new hires and their mentors will be added to the listserv for The Undercurrent.
- New members hired during the previous fall semester can also have one additional lunch with their mentors during this spring semester and receive reimbursement from the FA for up to $40.
- The third New Member Discussion Series event will be held at 11 a.m. on a Friday in February.
- Keep in touch, even (or especially) when your time at work becomes really, really busy.
- Attend the annual promotion workshop on your campus to find out more about the requirements and phases of the promotion cycle.
- The fourth and final New Member Discussion Series event will be held at 11 a.m. on a Friday.
- New members and their mentors will receive an invitation to the annual Spring New Member Social, which usually takes place on the first Friday in May.
- Attend the Spring New Member Social!